Sunday 16 February 2014

Exploring MIss Havisham: The Real Deal

Beloved sweetheart bastard. Not a day since then
I haven’t wished him dead. Prayed for it
so hard I’ve dark green pebbles for eyes,
ropes on the back of my hands I could strangle with.

Spinster. I stink and remember. Whole days
in bed cawing Nooooo at the wall; the dress
yellowing
, trembling if I open the wardrobe;
the slewed mirror, full-length, her, myself, who did this

to me? Puce curses that are sounds not words.
Some nights better, the lost body over me,
my fluent tongue in its mouth in its ear
then down till I suddenly bite awake. Love’s

hate behind a white veil; a red balloon bursting
in my face. Bang. I stabbed at a wedding-cake.
Give me a male corpse for a long slow honeymoon.
Don’t think it’s only the heart that b-b-b-breaks.


Carol Ann Duffy 

Above is a poem written by Caroln Ann Duffy about Miss Havisham's feelings and emotions. I have highlighted the key words and phrases which describe her appearance. 

From the descriptions of Miss Havisham in the novel and the keywords from the poem above, we all know Miss Havisham as the following: 

> Pale skin due to lack of sunlight 

> Dark circles under the eyes

> Gaunt frame 

How could I make my Miss Havisham more unique and realistic? 
What other factors could affect the way Miss Havisham looked? 

SKIN 

Miss Havisham's hygiene must have been very bad, therefore, it would  be likely that she had skin problems such as flaking, itches and rashes. She would have worn her veil for a very long time, this could have caused the pattern of the lace to imprint on her face when she slept. 




AGE 

Many adaptations has portrayed Miss Havisham as very old and shrivelled.

However, when you read the novel, Miss Havisham should only be in her mid 40s or even younger. On the other hand, the life expectancy in the Victorian era was very short, so to be alive when you were in the mid 40s was a surprise. Another reason why Miss Havisham is portrayed as very old may be because she is perceived through a child's eyes, meaning that her appearance may be over exaggerated. However, I want to create a more realistic Miss Havisham who is surprisingly beautiful. 

Margaret Leighton as Miss Havisham in Great Expectations 1974 

ILLNESS

Is Miss Havisham ill? It would not be surprising if she was weak and fragile, from having not had any sunlight in years. She would have also been living amongst dust and her dirty garments for decades which must have given her an itch. So, would Miss Havisham be feverish and sweaty, or dry and flaky? 
Miss Havisham also must be mentally ill for trying to stop time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment