Wednesday 15 January 2014

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

In this unit, I am going to dive into the world of Charles Dickens and explore his classic text 'Great Expectations'. 

I am expected to learn and understand the central themes and symbolism of the plot and characters in the novel, and further to develop my own characterisations for the central characters of the story. 

I am excited to embrace the novel. I want to step into the skins of Pip, a poor common boy who is learning to place his innate sense of kindness and conscience above his immature idealism or Estelle; a weapon used to break hearts and even the vengeful Miss Havisham, a wealthy dowager who is trapped on the day of her wedding, never to recover from the ghost of a bride. 

'Great Expectations' is a gothic novel, filled with suspense, horror, fear and superstition. 

So, I will be posting updates whilst I journey into the book of 'Great Expectations' sharing my thoughts on the plot and character development.

...


UNIT BRIEF : What the Dickens...? 

In this unit, I will learn how my own designs and styling ideas can be developed to adapt to the specific requirements of the body in motion.

This unit will cover interpreting a design brief, conceptualising ideas using mood boards, storyboards and presentations and forming practical requirements for make-up and hair in a lens based environment. 

Aims: 

Develop an understanding of how an image that focuses on make-up and hair in film and television is researched, developed and shot to suit a productions period or style and intended audience. 
Assist and maintain the continuity of the performer's appearance and by keeping a continuity record. 
Develop research, presentation and pitching techniques. 
Use ideas and references from text, film, historical references to inform the makeup designs for the characters of Great Expectations. 


...


I have watched two versions of 'Great Expectations' produced by the BBC, one a film featuring Helena Bonham and the other a series featuring Gillian Anderson as the wicked Miss Havisham. I must say that I like the Gillian Anderson version better than the other, I find that the story was more beautifully captured and left a bigger impact on me. There were many differences in the characterisation of characters such as Miss Havisham and Pip. For example, I thought that in the Helena Bonham version, Miss Havisham appeared much more crazier, speaking in a piercing stern voice, the harsh words match her voice, thus appear less surprising. However, in the Gillian Anderson version, Miss Havisham's voice is soft and dreamy, she appears in another world or in a trance, her words therefore seem surprising but complements her beautiful, cold and ghostly appearance. I remember Miss Havisham's appearance in the Gillian Anderson version most vividly, like a ghost bride without shoes, she drifted down the stairs to meet little Pip. And again, I find her death most beautiful in this version, an intended ending, whilst in the Helena Bonham version, presented more as an horrific accident. I was actually surprised at the Gillian Anderson's characterisation of Miss Havisham, I was expecting a withered hag in a OTT (over the top) wedding dress, but the Miss Havisham we see here is beautiful and elegant. I like this interpretation, I like that she appears like a ghost, drifting around in an old decaying mansion. I feel that more attention has been payed to Gillian Anderson's Miss Havisham, as she has adopted the little crazy habits, itching and staring, wild outbursts and cries. Miss Havisham is definitely a character to watch out for, in any version of Great Expectations as her character is truly impressive and interesting. 
  
Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham

Helena Bonham as Miss Havisham

Since watching the television version and the film of Great Expectations, I have developed a love for the character Estella. At first, I passed her as an arrogant girl who knew nothing better than to put people down, pushing Pip down because she thought he was too lowly for her. Estella is the adopted daughter of Miss Havisham, a beautiful weapon trained to break men's hearts. She wins Pip's deepest love by practising deliberate cruelty. Knowing this, why would she be my favourite character you ask? - Because although she claims to Pip she does not have a heart, she does. Although, she cannot stop herself from hurting Pip, she doesn't want to. I find myself having a growing sympathy for Estella because Miss Havisham has stripped her of her ability to express emotion and interact with the real world, but I can feel her inner struggle. I feel that Dickens uses Estella's life to reinforce that one's happiness and well being are not deeply connected to one's social position: had Estella been poor, she might had been substantially better. 

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching...I have been bent and broken, but-I hope-into a better shape."
- Estella


1 comment:

  1. For direct criticalness fans you can scan for after music, motion pictures, accounts and truly on the web. Notwithstanding whether its news blogs focused on the dispatch of a film or covering the exercises of your favored star, there's data open as it occurs. medios independientes

    ReplyDelete