Friday 24 January 2014

Havisham Sketch


In chapter 8 of the novel, we are introduced to the infamous Miss Havisham. From the description of Miss Havisham, I picked out main words and phrases that I strike me and create the most impact in the way I percieve and image Miss Havisham in my mind. 

"satin, and lace, and silks - all of white"

"long white veil"

"ought to be white long ago...faded and yellow"

"bridal flowers"

"hair was white"

"...had no brightness but the brightness of her sunken eyes."
"shrunk to skin and bone" 

"Now waxwork and skeleton seemed to have dark eyes that moved and looked at me." 


This description inspired me to sketch out what I imagined Miss Havisham to be. I have this very beautiful ghostly image of Miss Havisham, almost like the corpse bride by Tim Burton. I wanted to make her face quite angular because of small bony structure, but with softer features, such as the lips and very large porcelain doll eyes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment